Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day happened?

Mother's day was sort of an odd day for us this year. We did not have a lot of time to plan for it or anticipate it. The weekend before mother's day we were out of town visiting the in-laws. Last week I also started back to work. Those are two big events which did not leave us a lot of time to plan for anything.

We ended up celebrating mother's day on Saturday, as that was when my sister was able to be with us. She has not seen out Little Dude since birth. I took a nice hike with my parents and my sister on Saturday. Saturday evening we had a cook out. My mother grilled steaks, and Hubby made french fries. We also had a salad with it. A nice dinner. It was really good seeing my sister. The Little Dude just loved her! Lots of smiles and laughing was directed at my sister. It was really neat to see.

On Sunday we went to church. I was apparently the newest mother in attendance, though not the youngest. They gave all the mothers flowers, and I got a geranium from the nursery people, which was really sweet. It felt strange to be included in the Mother's Day acknowledgements, though. I know I am a mother, but it just felt so different. For years, I would hide on Mother's day, just to avoid the hoopla. I was used to hiding and trying to pretend that Mother's Day does not exist. It was a little shocking to suddenly be put in the middle of it all. I am now the one getting the gifts, rather than giving them. It just all felt strange to me.

Sunday afternoon, FIL and his wife took the baby for a few hours. Hubby and I went out to lunch, then came home and napped. A very nice afternoon, overall. And the Little Dude did great, apparently. He was generally happy, and easily soothed. They got the chance to show him off. I am so glad the visit went well. Hopefully they will want to do it again.

Overall not too bad a weekend. It was good to see my family, and I got through my first Mother's Day as a mother.

Monday was back to work. Work is going well. People are happy I am back, which is really neat. It is nice to be missed, and nice to be appreciated, at least by my co-workers. Management lives in their own little reality, so I doubt they even noticed my return.

1 comment:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

That sounds like a perfect Mother's day!