Monday, March 15, 2010

Sigh.

I have my interview on Wednesday, I feel like a large lump from the pregnancy weight which has not disappeared, and AF decided she wanted to join the party. What fun.

And then, my father sends me this article on for profit trade schools. I think he was trying to be helpful, but I already know a lot about what I am getting into. The school I am interviewing as it a lot smaller than ITT or any of the other large trade schools. They are independent, apparently, I know that the practical nursing program I will be teaching in is not accredited. The school itself has many accreditations, which I think is a good thing. They are open about which programs are accredited, and which programs are not. My friend who works there said that they are trying to get accreditation for their nursing program, but they have a lot of work to do before they get it. Apparently their pass rates for the boards are really low, and they need to increase their pass rates before they are eligible for accreditation. I am sure there are other requirements, but passing the boards is a biggie. My friend really wants to increase the quality of the instructors, hoping that will help. I am looking at it as just a job. If I do not feel right about it at the interview, I will not take it.

Nursing programs are actually fairly well regulated. In order to attract students, you have to have the ability to get students to pass the boards. Class sizes are regulated, and there are certain standards which have to be met by nursing programs, accredited or not. I know class size is capped, and I am sure there are education standards which have to be met. I have a hunch that this school is working toward accreditation, but I am going to ask just to be sure. That will tell me a lot about this program and whether I actually want to work for them. Hopefully they will be up front about their accreditation status, and I will take it as a good sign if they ask about me returning to graduate school.

I think the job will be fine, and fits with how I want to work right now. I will likely take it if offered, provided things go well at the interview.

The bright spot right now is that I am getting sleep! AC has started sleeping 6 hours at a stretch at night, and he is taking a decent nap in the morning. Hooray for sleep! I feel way more human now.

Weight loss is going slow. I think I need to take this in small steps, as it feels like everything is different with a baby. What I know I can do now is watch what I eat. I have been eating way too much junk, in general, and I need to change that. I think that is a good first step.

1 comment:

Mrs. Higrens said...

First, good luck on Wednesday!

Second, yay for sleep! That should help with the weight loss also, right?

Third, good luck on Wednesday! (can't say that enough. :) )