Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A lot can happen in 2 years.

My BLS certification has run out and expired.  This means that I cannot work.  BLS is a basic CPR certification, and all nurses have to have that certification to work.

At first it pissed me off that I let it expire.  I used to be pretty good about keeping up with it.  I have to renew it every two years, so it is something which can easily be forgotten about.  But it is important to my job, and I recently had to get copies of my BLS and ACLS cards when I started my current job.  I should have known when my BLS and ACLS were about to expire.

Then I realized that I should cut myself some slack.  I have had a lot happen in the past two years.

When I renewed my ACLS and BLS cetifications, I was early in my pregnancy.  Since I got the certification I have:
  • Had a baby
  • gone back to work
  • started a new job teaching (and then stopped teaching)
  • started another new job at the ambulatory surgery center
Those are all big changes.  It is probably a minor miracle that nothing else more serious fell by the wayside.  I did remember to renew my nursing license, after all.

The unfortunate part is that the class is 5:30 on Monday, which is when the baby eats dinner and goes to sleep.  I guess that is is a small price to pay, but I am sad about missing his bedtime, even for one night.  I really like to be here for his bedtime routine. 

The silver lining is that I cannot work until I renew my BLS.  So I get to have Monday off of work. 

(Of course, my paychecks are going to look pretty sad the next time around.  But I can enjoy the time off with the baby.)

1 comment:

Jessica White said...

I say enjoy the day :-) At least you noticed it pretty quick!