Sunday, October 11, 2009

Facing it.

The arrival of all the baby furniture has forced us to realize that there will be a baby at the end of all of this. With all the boxes full of furniture sitting in our living room, the baby becomes less of an idea and more of a reality. We need to make space for this little guy. In three months our lives will change as we welcome our little guy into our lives. Kind of scary. I think both of us have been putting off dealing with it. I do not think we can put it off much longer. In about three months, he will be here.

There has been some good to come out of the arrival of all the baby stuff. Hubby started moving stuff out of the designated nursery room. I think all of this has made him realize that we need to prepare for the little guy's arrival. Hopefully soon we can get the room painted. We may end up painting it ourselves. Well, Hubby may end up painting by himself unless he can find a painter to paint it for him. A friend has offered to come over and paint it. We may take her up on the offer.

I also started reading about baby care, breastfeeding, and baby's first year. I spent so many years hiding from baby stuff that I have no clue about any of it. I am slowly making my way through all the books I ordered. Slowly but surely. Hopefully it will help. I am also hoping that my mother will help. She is great with babies, and she breastfed me when I was a child. I hope that she will be a lot of help when I bring baby home. I think I am starting to get nervous.

I think I also have an odd pregnancy symptom. No one warned me about the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome developing during pregnancy. (The things you can learn from Dr Google!) I have numbness and tingling in my wrists. Way worse in the morning, but the left wrist has numbness and tingling off and on throughout the day. At first, I thought that it was because I was sleeping on my arm a little funny. But it is not really going away, so I suspect it is likely not that. Apparently fluid retention during pregnancy can press on the nerves, and irritate them. I suspect that is what is happening. I have not noticed a lot of swelling in my ankles, but my wrists and hands are a little more puffy than usual. But not by much. I think this is something I need to mention to my docs when I see them tomorrow. Not that they can do much. I cannot take anti-inflammatories or diuretics right now. I am thinking of investing in a couple of wrist braces to help with the numbness in the morning. I have been waking up and my hands feel dead. It is not fun. Hopefully the braces will help.

6 comments:

Nadine said...

Decorating the nursery! How exciting that will be, and it will make it all more real (of course, also the baby that you look down, see and feel everyday may help a little too!).

andrea said...

When I was pregnant, it took me until I was about 30/32 weeks to really "get it" - holy hell this baby is COMING OUT SOON!! You're not alone on that front - at.all.

And the Carpal Tunnel - I have a few girlfriends that had it during pregnancy and all of them said the braces helped to take the edge off, esp over night. I hope they work for you.

Jaymee said...

super exciting!! hope that the puffiness turns out to be nothing more than the usual pregnancy stuff. i totally understand the avoiding all the baby stuff and feeling totally lost, you will get there though.

Jessica White said...

My SIL had CTS during the last trimester of pregnancy...I've had this weird swollen knuckle thing. I think it's one of those things that people fail to mention.

I can't wait to see how you guys do up the nursery!

annacyclopedia said...

If I can offer some assvice, if you have questions about breastfeeding and want to learn more, I highly recommend attending La Leche League meetings while you are still pregnant. You will likely not be the only pregnant woman there, and it is a great place to connect with other women who have experience and knowledge about breastfeeding and to ask any questions you have. LLL leaders are extensively trained and in my experience are very committed to helping you figure stuff out.

I just say this cause it's so good to know where to go for help when you need it, and not wait for struggles to happen. It's way easier to go to a meeting now than when you have a fussy 3 week old baby and you are struggling with breastfeeding. It is great that you have support in your mom, too - not to downplay that, but there is lots of new information out there and talking to people who have dealt with nursing issues recently or currently can also be helpful.

End of assvice - do with it what you will.

I'm starting to get really excited for you!

kate said...

I worked as a temp one summer to cover for a woman who was going out on maternity leave. She was a tiny woman who had swollen up massively during her last weeks of pregnancy, and along with that had come awful carpal tunnel. She was totally miserable, BUT she got instant relief after giving birth. I'm not saying so to be one of the a-hole "scare you with my friend's horror story" kind of people, but to say that it's normal and that (in her case) it didn't seem to cause any permanent issues. And to point out that she gets to be all tiny and cute and super-fertile, so maybe the universe swung a little fluid retention her direction to tip the scales a tiny bit!