Sunday, September 13, 2009

The Name Game

Baby Smiling in the Backseat had a couple of great thoughtful Thursdays. The one that got me thinking was the Thoughtful Thursday from last week about naming children. Naming a baby is not something we thought about before we got pregnant. We figured we would have plenty of time to choose a name for the child while I am pregnant. We tossed some names around not long ago, and quickly came to the decision on a name for this child. But for some reason it is not sitting well with me. I thought I would be all right with it, but now I am not so sure.

We looked to family for name ideas. Boy names can be so difficult. We did not want anything too common, and we wanted to honor our relatives. The name we came up with is Alton Carrick. Alton is Hubby's grandfather's name. Carrick is my grandfather's middle name. For a boy's name it sounds nice, and sort of flows really well. My husband also likes how the initials look with our last name, just in case he decides to go into law.

I think what I am having trouble with is nicknames. It will shorten to Al, which will make it easy to learn to spell in elementary school. Or he could go by his initials, A.C.. Or we could call him by his entire first name, which I sort of like, but seems a little formal. I have a hunch that if we name him Alton, he will end up going by Al, which may not be so bad once he is a little older. Hubby hates the idea of the child going by Tony. He says it is too Italian.

Maybe what I would like is a first name which will shorten to something nicer, and less blunt. I would like to keep Carrick as a middle name, because I think Carrick is a solid middle name. And I have no problems with Alton as a middle name, as well. I have two middle names myself, so two middle names is fine with me. I like the idea of honoring both of our grandfathers.

Maybe I should start thinking about some different possible first names. Maybe look to literature or mythology. That was an idea I always liked. Naming the child after a Greek, Roman, or Norse god. Though both Hubby and I agree that Mars and Thor are not in the running.

On a side note, we considered telling people a fake name for the baby, considering all the crazy things people will name their children. Something like Cherokee or Sequoia. Just to annoy people and throw them off our trail.

8 comments:

Queenie. . . said...

The book the Baby Name Wizard is set up by category of name (ie, nodic, mythologival,etc.). You might want to check it out.

Alison said...

LOL! I love your idea of giving people fake crazy names! That's hilarious! When/if we have children I'm definitely going to try that and see who actually believes that we're going to name our daughter "Shanaynay" or our son "Zeus"!

Rose's Daughter said...

I've just started telling people that it's none of their business, and that they will have to wait until he is born!

Nadine said...

Funny I find boys names easy as I like so many of them and girls names almost impossible....

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I do like Alton, though it's impossible for me to hear the name and not think "Alton Brown." What about a nickname that is separate from Alton--not Al--which may naturally occur. We have a friend John, who has always been called Scooter.

andrea said...

I really like that name - I think it's wonderful just how it is.
I HATE nicknames - as in, I named you something for a reason and that is what we will call you (other cutesy nicknames I can deal with for now). Everyone told me before our daughter was born what they were going to shorten her name to - my husband and I call her by her full name - and now, so does everyone else!

I know that as she gets older, whatever sticks, sticks. But she will always be Gianna to me!

Mrs. Higrens said...

That's a great idea to give a fake name (who knows how many times you'll change your mind on the real name).

If you stick with your original name...what about Cary as a nickname? (Cary Grant comes to mind, swoon.)

Shinejil said...

I've been thinking hard about what name I can yell down the street with ease.

What about Proteus? Or get all pomp and circumstance and go for Augustus or something? :)