Thursday, March 10, 2011

Running

At the moment, I am running from grading.  I need to do midterm grades, but I would rather do this.  So I am running from grading at the moment to do this blog post.

I have a habit that is actually good for me.  I run a little.  More of a jog, really, as I am very slow.  I am not signed up for a race.  I am not doing couch to 5K.  I do not even consider myself a "runner."  I do not run every day, but I do try to run as often as I can

I run at the gym around the track.  I do walking and running intervals, and try to maintain good form.  I am more about avoiding injuries and fitness than competing in a race, and try to use chirunning form as much as possible.  (I think I have seen too many knee scopes and orthopedic procedures on runners, so form and injury avoidance is most important for me.)

I run when I can.  Not every day, and I try to get at least one day in between to allow my knees to rest.  Though I have run two days in a row and not had any problems.  I also stretch at the end of each session, which helps, too.

Running is a workout I can do relatively quickly.  It is not dependent on a time, like a class.  I go to the gym when I can.  The baby gets to play in the childcare area, which he loves.  They have a slide and a playhouse, and lots of toys and other kids for him to play with.  Mommy gets some time to herself, and she gets out of the house.

I want to run more regularly.  Someday it would be nice to try to train for a race.  I may consider a race when I am able to actually run more regularly and longer.  At this point, I am just trying to run consistently.  That is all I can do right now.

4 comments:

Hope in Virginia said...

You should do the Drumstick Dash on Thanksgiving Day. It's a great race through downtown Roanoke. We push Emma this year in the jog stroller. Was cold, but still fun.

LaShawn Wiltz said...

I just want to START running!

Queenie. . . said...

I've added just a tiny bit of exercise every day (truthfully, it's a bit of walking during my commute to work!), and I can't believe what a difference it has made! I'm in so much better shape than I was before, and I feel so much better. Now if I could just stop eating so many cookies!

Jamie said...

I've never considered myself a runner either but it feels so good to get outside and stretch my legs. Very therapeutic!!