Monday, July 11, 2011

Summer Camp Day 11

Summer Camp Day 11:  How are you different from your parents? How are you the same? Do your parents and/or family know that you write on-line?

My parents are very different from each other, so it is probably no surprise that I am a little like both.

My mother is an artist, and she is very right brained.  She has a rather unstructured thought process, that I just cannot follow.  In all honesty, I can say that I have no idea how her mind works.  She is very much a free spirit, and likes to be away from it all whenever possible.  Whereas I am left brained and analytical.  I like things to be logical, or at least have an explanation which makes sense to me. 

It is hard for me to say how I am like my mother, as we are each our own person.  We do share a metabolic issue.  We both have PCOS, and both of us have issues with our weight.  Our strategies for dealing with differ significantly, though.  My mother has food issues, and likes to be able to have unrestricted access to food.  She does try to find foods that are filling and healthy, so she hopefully will not eat too much.  And she will journal her food, which does help her, I think.  I usually turn to WW.  That has worked in the past, and I think it will work again.  I just need to follow the plan.  (Always a catch!)

I am a bit more like my father.  He has a very strong work ethic.  He owns his own business and works hard to keep it going.  He follows through on his commitments.  I love that I can count on him.  If he says that he is going to do something, he will do it.  I think I get my work ethic from him.  Both of us are hard workers. 

My dad is more in touch with his creative side than I am.  When I was younger, he was into music.  He plays guitar and sings in the church choir.  He has gotten into writing the past decade, and that has been a wonderful creative outlet for him.  At the moment my blog is my major creative outlet, though it feels more like a journal to me.  It is a place where I can put my thoughts and feelings, and I do not see it as a creative space.  I keep thinking I should make more use of my camera and take more pictures, and then I forget to take it with me and use it.
 
My family does know I have a blog, though I do not know how regularly they read it.  They do understand it is personal, so they probably do not mention because of that.

1 comment:

Jessica White said...

I've always thought of myself as being more like my father, but more and more I see my mom.

Great post! Stick to those creative outlets....whatever they are.