Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer Camp Day 8

Just a quick rant before I start.  Feel free to skip if you do not want to read it.

Little Guy is in the process of switching from two naps to one.  I usually give him one chance at a nap in the morning before I am off and running with him the rest of the morning.  He can go down for a long afternoon nap, which I think is really good for him.

This morning, I went to the gym and then I left Little Guy with my mother while I ran an errand.  She wanted to spend time with him.  And I was only going to be gone about an hour, and then we would have lunch and take him home.  That was the plan.

Unfortunately, my mother put him down for a nap while I was gone.  He may have been tired, but I really wish she could have hung with it at least while I was gone.  Then I could have brought him home and he could have had a nap at home.  Instead he got an hour of sleep at my mother's house, and nothing else.  I tried putting him down for an afternoon nap, but I only got an hour of play and fussing while I tried to get my chores done.  I was not a happy camper.

The good thing is that he went down early, so Hubby and I have more time together, once I finish this blog post.  And Hubby brought me wine.  I think I need it tonight!

OK, rant over.  Feel better now.
*********************************

Summer Camp Day 8:  If you had to teach something, what would you teach? (If you DO teach, when did you discover your love for teaching/the subject?) Do you think blogs can play a role in education?

I do teach, off and on.  Every now and again I will teach biology as an adjunct at the local community college, which is actually a pretty good gig.  No need to deal with departmental politics.  You get to teach your class and go home.

But.  (You knew that was coming, didn't you?)  Teaching takes a lot of time and effort.  Nursing (RN not BF) is more lucrative, and I do not have to take anything home after working hours.  So nursing is what I am sticking with right now.

Not sure if I am that passionate about teaching.  Not like I am about being an RN.  Teaching is a job, and it is sort of fun, and I am pretty good at it.  I actually have a graduate degree in education, though I do not like to talk about it because I went into education because I did not have anything better to do.  Probably not the best reason to enter a profession.  Through my student teaching and other experiences, I also realized that I do not get along with other teachers.  Maybe I am too much of a cynic.  Nurses as a group are fairly cynical.  Teachers can be cynical, but it is not the same as nurses.  I think nurses are much darker in their cynicism, probably because they see the dark side of everything.

I do not know if blogging could play a role in education.  It could help with research in higher education, as people blog their experiences and interests.  It can help people expand their hobbies and interests.  I have gotten good info on various subjects from blogs.  I do not think that it is able to play much of a role in high school or below.  (Or even in community college, for that matter.)  At that level, students need to figure out how to do basic research and come up with basic info about the subject, preferably from a reliable source.  It is hard to get that information from a blog.


No comments: