Friday, May 1, 2009

The Coffee problem

I never thought I would be dealing with this issue so early.

Here is the deal:
I am a nurse who has to be at work before 7 AM, usually. My coffee intake is usually 2 cups prior to leaving work. That is all the caffiene I drink all day. No sodas, or anything else. It had me awake enough to start the day. Since I started the PIO injections, the second cup of coffee just does not appeal to me. Lately I have only been drinking one cup in the morning. This has been all right, for the most part, because I have been able to sleep in since I have started the PIO. (Thank goodness for vacation and sick days!) But I have to work on Saturday. I know I am going to be tired, and likely irritable.

The Wizard wants me to cut back on caffeine, chocolate, and wine. Sigh. So I have been trying. The chocolate and wine I find fairly easy, for the most part. But I find it is taking a while to accustom myself to only one cup of coffee in the morning. I am really dragging and sleepy. Not to mention the headache. I am trying a cup of tens.ion tamer tea this morning. I may report back and let you know how it worked.

Anyone have any other suggestions about what I can replace my second cup of coffee with to wake me up? As you can see, I am not averse to drinking tea. I am just not sure what types are appropriate.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I'm the same way with coffee, sometimes i really, really need it. How about half regular half decaf, it's not too bad and should do the trick with just hte right amount of caffeine??

Mrs. Higrens said...

I was going to suggest you switch to a soda for the 2nd cup. From the little research I've done to justify my morning Mountain Dew habit (just one, and then mostly no other caffeine for the rest of the day), the majority have less caffeine than a regular cup of coffee. And many also come in a caffeine-free version you could switch to as part of the weaning process. But, if you don't drink soda then that wouldn't work.

Roobois tea is caffeine free and Celestial Seasons has a vanilla one that with a little sugar and milk is pure heaven.

annacyclopedia said...

Peppermint has stimulating qualities, so peppermint tea might be a good second hot drink. It works great as aromatherapy if you use the essential oil, too, but aromatherapy is generally not a good idea in pregnancy with the exception of a very few oils, so best to skip that for the time being. Good luck - the transition is hard, but once you get past the hard part, I've found it way easier to wake up now that I'm pretty much caffeine free.

'Murgdan' said...

I got some General Foods International Coffee Decaf Swiss Mocha...YUMMMMM. It did the trick for me. Hang in there!

ME! said...

I don't know they name of it- but it is in the Organic section of my grocery story called "Female Toner" Really good, and minimal caffine- but does the trick for me.